Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oscar's




Oscar's is back in my life. Two visits in 36 hours. Huge beers for $3.25. The best cheese fries in the city. Take that Geno's. Strange deep fried pierogies. And crunchy-and-not-too-greasy onion rings. Yum. The onion rings will no doubt give you indigestion for hours, but one Pepcid AC followed by a margarita mixed with club soda seemed to resolve that problem immediately. I don't know how I forgot that Oscar's is by far the best dive in the city. Bonus points for serving everything on paper plates with plastic forks, and nothing on the menu over $6. Although I would love to know what happened to the homeless man who used to work there!
Update: I made a third visit and went for actual food. I ordered a tuna salad sandwich and when asked what kind of bread I wanted I said wheat, but I think the question was pointless because it seems only white was available. And also there was no tuna salad. So I had chicken salad on wonder bread with no lettuce or tomato and another order of those cheese fries, and although I ordered the fries my sandwich still came with chips. The food here reminds me a lot of a school lunch, but in a really charming comforting way. I also switched from my usual giant lager to giant Long Island iced tea, 23 oz of booze for $9. Oscar's is SO back.

No comments:

Post a Comment