Sunday, January 18, 2009

Distrito!

This posting is about two weeks overdue, but I can't let it go. And if I already talked to you in great detail about my experience at Distrito, feel free to skip this one. I went with a friend the the weekend after New Year's. I was shocked that on a weekend night we walked in around 8 and were seated immediately. With all the hype surrounding this place, I didn't think it would be so simple, but the place was kind of dead.
I was totally won over by the decor - its like a big pink party, lots of color, and marquee signs over the bar with some of the drinks. We started off with cocktails, I had a passion fruit margarita and my friend had a grapefruit. Both were tasty, and nice and strong. They brought out some seasoned nuts; I picked at them but really they were a little hot for me. I don't really like spicy.
So then for the food. We ordered the guacamole with crab meat, the caesar salad, kobe beef tacos, esquites, and a chicken enchilada. Everything was delicious. The crab meat was for real in the guac, and the chips they came with were thick and crispy. The salad was good, a little more dressing than I would like, but good. I just started eating a few bites of red meat now and then, and I only want it super rare. My friend had the tacos before and highly recommended them, and I agreed. The meat was rich and tasty and there were tiny french fries on top for a little crunch. The enchilada and the esquites were my favorites. The enchilada was in a smoky red sauce with just a little heat, and the esquites was like a corn and cheese parfait. Like that corn on the cob they served all summer at Cantina, but cut off the cob and with a little more of the queso fresco. I think it was only $5, and Imight insist on getting it on all of my future visits.
We had a second round of cocktails, and I decided to try the house margarita to see how it was. I love margaritas but bad ones give me terrible heartburn. This was decent.
We were too full for dessert, but when they brought the check there were little sugar coated jellies for each of us that were just the perfect thing. When we got up to leave we realized we were some of the last people in there, and Iwas impressed that the server didn't try to rush us out of there. We went upstairs to use the bathroom and snoop around a little, and also tried to win a Mexican wrestler toy from the crane machine (we didn't win), and left totally satisfied and a little tipsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment