Wednesday, January 14, 2009

cold snap

Well I had planned on today being Blackout Wednesday, but the cold weather is keeping my drinking buddies in the house. So I decided to spend my allowance on food instead. I decided to pay a second visit to Terryin Sushi Bar on 4th and Snyder. On my first visit I walked in and got take out and was charmed by the waitress/cashier. She seems to be high-school age and while I was waiting for my sushi her cell phone rang. She picked it up and it had one of those cell phone charms on it, except it was Beanie Baby sized! I was amazed. A big soft Winnie the Pooh was smacking her in the chin while she was talking. I wasted time texting my BFF to tell her about it and by the time I realized I should be sneaking a pic, her call ended. And then my sushi was ready.

When I got it home and opened the bag I got scared. The sushi was served in a styrofoam box, not a little tray with clear plastic lid. I felt a little better when I saw the paper grass inside, and my beautiful sushi. I got the avocado roll and the rainbow roll. Both were great! The avocado was perfectly ripe and all the fish was super fresh. Their rainbow rolls are a little smaller than a lot of places, but priced accordingly.

So I decided to order those same two rolls again, and at the last minute decided it was really cold out, I needed something hot. I was thinking spring roll, but crab meat soup caught my eye. The small was $3.50 and being a huge fan of all things crab, I went for it.

When I got to pick up my food the same girl was there, but there was no sign of her cell phone. My rolls were exactly as before, and then I saw the soup. I have never seen a soup like this. The broth was totally clear and thick, like the consistency of liquid soap. The crab meat was actually crab stick, and was seperated into noodle-like pieces. There were thin pieces of onion, and after a few bites I discovered little chunks of shrimp. I don't eat shrimp and don't think shrimp should be a surprise element to any food. I put the rest of the soup in the fridge. When /// got home I encouraged him to try it. He took one look at it and said it looked like placenta. He is one of the least picky eaters I know, and I don't think I have ever seen him turn down a taste of something. I do have to say that the waxed bag of crunchy noodles that came with the soup was a nice treat though.

Overall I think this place is a great sushi spot. Its close, inexpensive, the sushi has been fresh and yummy, and the people are really friendly. I have yet to eat in and enjoy the Japanese beers, and they also have a full menu of cooked Japanese dishes I haven't tried, so its safe to say I will return. But no crab meat soup ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment