Monday, March 30, 2009

super blog update

Ok so we have been absolutely awful at keeping up with this thing, so here are lots of brief updates.

First - my current favorite restaurant is Izumi. LOVE THIS PLACE. I've been there three times(including with a part of 9 for my birthday) and have really been wowed every time. The fish is fresh and lovely and their specialty rolls are creative and satisfying. I am a big fan of the Izumi roll. The tuna sashimi has been great too. Also every time I have been there we have had a special rock shrimp appetizer that I have enjoyed, and I hate shrimp as a rule. The first time it came out compliments of the chef due to a little seating snafu that we really weren't upset about anyway, and it was served in a sauce that reminded me of something that would be on chicken wings. The second and third time it was in a wasabi aioli, totally delicious. I can't wait until they open up the windows and begin seating outside.

Lucky 13 - Brunch - French toast with blueberry compote and honey butter with a side of scrambled eggs. The french toast was actually really yum, I liked the batter they used. Decent bloody mary and a $3 mimosa. I realized this place is a lot more charming at night as a bar, the atmosphere of the 'dining room' still needs a little TLC.

Cantina - A while back I had an unfortunate visit to Cantina involving dry boring tamales and syrupy raspberry margaritas. Today I was pleased to see the corn on the cob back on the specials board, also had some crab ceviche with peanuts, and chicken burrito, which was the size of a small baby and was the only meal I needed all day. Also, its not on the menu but if you ask they will make you a bloody mary, good enough to order a second at least.

Standard Tap - Did anyone know there was another secret dining room off to the side of the back room upstairs? Had brunch here with mommy and friends and I don't know how I have been eating here for years and have never seen it. I always end up with the salmon bagel platter. Except why are they stingy, two halves of a bagel calls for at least two tomato slices. We made my mom ask for bloody marys by the pitcher, and were denied.

1601 - I keep trying this place. Its so close to home I want to love it. The former back dining room now houses a pool table. And on a Sunday evening everyone there except for your supperclub bloggers was glued to the tv watching Family Guy. Mixed feelings, but since its only a ten minute walk, I'll keep trying.

''Hot Bagels" - I think the actual name of this place is Philadelphia Bagel Co, but since the sign says Hot Bagels, I'll stay with that. Bagels are great and they will give you freezer bags so you can stock up. So far I've tried the lox spread and the veggie cream cheese. The coffee won't kill you, but if you could get it somewhere else, you should. I've been here maybe a half dozen times and always have the same girl help me, and for some reason I find myself feeling a little sorry for her which results in overtipping. But the more I think about it, she might just have weepy eyeliner that makes her look a little sad. They have lots of salads you can get on a bagel too, I want to try the tuna and the whitefish soon.

Marra's - Went here with my mom and my sister on a Saturday night, and they were a little grouchy about us not having a reservation, insisted it was going to be a while, then seated us in about 5 minutes. They have cheap carafes of even cheaper wine and baskets of crusty bread and butter. We split a small pizza as an appetizer - we went in for pasta but the people next to us had tons of pizzas at their table and it made us want some too. I had simple cheese ravioli. My sister had something crazy involving crabmeat stuck to shrimp over pasta, and my mom had all kinds of seafood over a mountain of spaghetti. We were supposed to go out drinking after this but instead we had to go home and change into sweatpants immediately.

There are more updates, but I have to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment